Sunday, April 27, 2003


A scary thing happened to me yesterday when I was delivering papers. Since it was Saturday, the paper has a later delivery time of 7:00, so the sun was up just over the horizon. As I was headed East on McCarthy Road, I was facing directly into the sun, as well as oncoming car headlights. Whenever headlights, or sun are in my eyes, I usually look at the side of the road and use peripheral vision to see the road ahead. I did that this time, but after I turned, I noticed I had a blind spot and couldn't see in a particular area in my field of vision. This really concerned me. I thought it might be temporary, as you may know what happens when a flash goes off from a camera, but this wasn't a normal "dark spot" from the light. It was acually like an invisible area, nothing was there. After a few minutes I started to see wiggly or wavy lines or curves in the area affected. I pulled over and closed my eyes for a few minutes thinking this will subside, but after that my entire field of vision started to flicker.
I guess all of this was a reaction to the bright light, but it took me alot longer to finish the route, and I missed and had to go back to some drops. Things started to clear up after 15-20 minutes, and started to go back to normal. I was very weary of the sunligh the rest of the day. It had me worried. I told my wife, Monica about the incident. She asked why I didn't have a pair of sunglasses. Actually, I looked for some (she usually has several pair laying around), but there were none in the van, and every pari of sunglasses I have bought in the past have either been lost or broken. She bought me a pair later that day, and I wore them this morning.

Great story, huh?

Actually I left out some important thoughts going through my head at the time my vision was wacky. I thought how horrible it would be for my last images to be that of my paper route. I thought about my family and how I would have to remember their faces if my vision failed before I got home. I actually started to cry and think about what plan God has for me, if this is going to happen. Although some of this seems more trivial now, I was really worried at the time and wanted to mention these thoughts.

No comments: